This casserole is the perfect thing for breakfast, or brunch! It’s especially great for all the upcoming holiday brunches, and family breakfasts! It’s quick and easy to make. You can make it the evening before, store it in the refrigerator overnight, and then toss it in the oven for 30-45 min the next morning and breakfast is served! I enjoyed this one just this morning with my cup of Dandelion Chai! (You can find that recipe here).
The farm fresh fare used in this recipe includes sausage from my aunt’s farm, and you can use local eggs in this if you can find some chickens laying this time of year! Ours have gone on strike due to the shorter amount of daylight in the winter time.
Breakfast Sausage, Egg, and Veggie casserole
- 2 lbs ground breakfast sausage
- 1 Lg. sweet potato-diced
- 1/2 Md. onion-diced
- 4 baby portobello mushrooms-sliced
- 1 Md. red bell pepper-diced
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- 8 eggs
- 2 c. unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- Step 1 Preheat oven to 350.
- Step 2 Lightly grease a 9×11 casserole dish with coconut oil, or butter.
- Step 3 Fry the sausage in a medium skillet. After the sausage is fried, evenly spread it in the bottom of the prepared casserole dish.
- Step 4 Fry the diced sweet potato until they are soft, then add the onions.
- Step 5 Add sweet potato to the casserole dish.
- Step 6 Add the mushroom, and bell pepper.
- Step 7 In another bowl whisk together the milk, eggs, salt, pepper, and parsley.
- Step 8 Pour the egg mixture over the sausage mixture in the casserole dish.
- Step 9 Place in the refrigerator now if you plan to bake it in the morning.
- Step 10 If baking now, place in the oven for 30-45 min until it is cooked through, and cheese is melted.
- Step 11 ENJOY!