This recipe is easy-peasy-lemon-squeezey! You can adjust the “heat” as you like. This recipe is quite mild as it is, because I have little ones who don’t enjoy the bite of a jalapeno as much as their parents do! This is easy to throw together-even easier if you keep some cooked chicken breast or thighs on hand in your fridge as we often do for those evenings when we need a hot dinner, but it also needs to be quick and easy! This is a great way to use up those jalapeno peppers from your garden, or your neighbors, before they go bad!!
Jalapeno Popper and Roasted Garlic Casserole
Savory, spicy, and creamy dinner that makes great leftovers-if there is any left!
- 13 chicken thighs cooked. Cook for 30 min at 350 F or until juices run clear. Prepare the rest of the ingredients as these cook.
- Roasted Garlic-Cut the very top off 2 whole heads of garlic-top with a pat of butter (preferably grass fed) and place in a small baking dish. These can be cooked at the same time as your chicken thighs.
- For the chicken thighs use the following spice rub:
- 3 tsp granulated garlic, 3 tsp dried, chopped onion, 3 tsp Himalayan pink salt, 1 tsp pepper.
- For the sauce:
- 3 c. Greek Yogurt
- 8 oz. Cream Cheese
- 1 cup Mayo
- 8 oz drained, mild diced hatch green chilies
- 2 de-seeded jalapeños
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp granulated garlic
- 1 tsp dried chopped onion
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- For topping:
- 1.5 cups cheddar cheese topping
- Sprinkle of dried parsley for garnish
- Step 1 Place the 13 chicken thighs in a large glass baking dish, rub with the granulated garlic, dried, chopped onion, himalayan pink salt, and pepper on both sides. Place in the oven at 350 and bake for 30 minutes. Also place the garlic in the oven at this time as well.
- Step 2 While the chicken and garlic is cooking, make the filling. I find that this is easiest in my stand mixer. Mix together the greek yogurt, cream cheese, hatch chilies, mayo, cumin, ground paprika, salt, pepper, garlic, dried chopped onion, and cayenne.
- Step 3 When the chicken and the garlic are done, remove from the oven. Carefully take the roasted garlic out of the skin, and place the cloves on the baked chicken.
- Step 4 Add the sauce to the top of the chicken and garlic, making sure to cover all the chicken evenly.
- Step 5 Spread the cheddar cheese over the top of the casserole.
- Step 6 Bake for another 30 minutes at 350 F.
- Step 7 Place under a broiler on high for 2 minutes to get a golden brown finish, garnish with the parsley and serve!
I have 4 hungry guys in my house-so 13 chicken thighs is what we need for 1-2 dinners, but it may be more than you need at your house. I suggest making the whole recipe, and freezing so that you have an easy freezer meal already prepared! Enjoy!