I’m sure all of you who have come to my house for a visit can attest to the fact that I love my herbal goodie drinks! I’ve gotten many raised eyebrows when I’ve asked them about adding things to their coffee such as Turkey Tail. I’ve actually found a way to one-up my normal turkey tail coffee…Chocolate, and seven different kinds of mushrooms all in one power. The seven species of mushroom in this power powder are: maitake, lion’s mane, cordyceps, reishi, shiitake, turkey tail, and chaga. The only other ingredient is organic cocoa powder. For those of you who have never heard of putting mushroom power in your coffee, trust me when I tell you that you need to start! In this post I’ll outline why. First, let me show you the two products you will need for this daily dose of oomph!
I ordered these two items on amazon.com because I use bulk amounts of these two herbal goodies. Mushrooms have been used for centuries, and contain some pretty amazing benefits! This particular brand contains 7 different mushroom species, and each has different beneficial properties. Mushrooms are high in vitamin D, which is a huge immune booster. They are hormone supportive, they can increase your body’s capacity for carrying oxygen on red blood cells. Medicinal mushrooms are considered an adaptogenic herb which means that they have many key nutrients that enable your body to physiologically handle stressors in a way that is less damaging to your body-so these are particularly beneficial during stressful times of life. Mushrooms have potent anti-inflammatory properties as well. Cordyceps has been studied for it’s ability to increase ATP production, which equals increased energy and endurance. This species of mushroom has been used by athletes for this very reason. Mushrooms are also high in histidine which is important in protecting your DNA from oxidative stress. Mushrooms contain antibacterial, and antiviral properties as well. These little nutritional powerhouses have been studied heavily in cancer treatment.
I want to add two very important note here. PLEASE do not forage for your own mushrooms unless you have been trained to do so. Many mushrooms can look like an edible version, but they may not actually be and can be very dangerous for your health. The second note is that you should choose mushroom products that have been grown in organic material. Mushrooms absorb and concentrate whatever they have been grown in.
Maca root powder is also considered an adaptogenic herb. This is a root vegetable found in the Peruvian Andes. It has a nearly complete amino acid profile and many fatty acids. Amino acids and fatty acids drive cellular function in the body. Maca can assist in boosting fertility; assist in menstrual issues and menopause, and increase libido. It can support healthy skin. It also contains many nutrients that are supportive of cardiovascular health. It is high in B12, B1, B2, Vitamin C, Zinc, and Magnesium.
One more tip: Do yourself a favor and use organic coffee, or know your coffee roaster. Coffee is reported to be one of the most heavily sprayed crops and so it pays to either buy organic, or know your roaster and have a chat with them about their coffee sourcing. After all, it doesn’t pay to incorporate all of these hormone balancing herbs, only to brew coffee beans that have been sprayed with known endocrine disruptors.
Super Fuel Mocha Latte
Creamy herbal coffee to jump start your morning
- 2 c. Organic brewed coffee.
- 1 c. Full fat coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp Maca Root powder
- 1 tsp Sacred 7 Chocolate mushroom powder
- 1/2 tsp Stevia Glycerite. You can use any sweetner you like.
- Whipped cream
- Cinnamon for dusting
- Step 1 Put all ingredients except the whipped cream and cinnamon into a vitamix on hot soup setting and let it run through the program. If you do not have a vitamix you can use a sauce pan on the stove as well, and either whisk the ingredients together, or use an immersion blender.
- Step 2 I love making my own whipped cream. If you have never done this it’s very easy. You will put 1-2 cups of cold heavy cream into a mixing bowl. You can use a stand mixer, or a hand mixer. Whip on high setting until your cream forms stiff peaks. If you can lift the beaters from the cream and it leaves peaks you have done it! Don’t whip too much or you could end up with butter-or a very lumpy whipped cream. Next add sweetner of your choice-I generally use stevia glycerite, or monk fruit sweetner. You can also use honey if you like. You can experiment with this and see how much you prefer for your taste. Then just quickly mix it all together. You can store your whipped cream in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
- Step 3 Pour your super fuel Mocha latte into a mug, top with a dollop of whipped cream and a dusting of cinnamon.
I hope you enjoy this recipe! Let me know what you think in the comments below!!
Disclaimer: This is not a substitute for medical advice. The information in this post, as all other posts within this blog, are meant for educational purposes only. Please consult with your physician prior to taking any supplements or herbs.