It has been a rainy Sunday afternoon. I’ve enjoyed watching the rain, soak the dry ground here. I also enjoy just being with my little family on these days-curled up with a good cup of hot tea while I listen to their imaginations at play. I also enjoy cooking a nice warm meal on these kinds of afternoons. So today we had a delicious soup, grilled cheese, and this easy apple crisp. The apples I used were the very last ones that I had frozen from last apple season. We picked around 20 plastic grocery bags full! I washed them, cored and sliced them, and then baked them with a bit of cinnamon and butter. I waited for them to cool completely before spooning them all into quart sized freezer bags and storing them in my freezer for such a time as this. They were dated Sept, 2017, and they were delicious! I highly recommend taking your family to an apple orchard this fall to pick apples! It’s ripe with opportunities to make memories, while gathering a delicious harvest!
Easy Apple Crisp
A desert you can whip up quickly
- 1 One quart bag of frozen sliced apples
- 2-3 TBSP Swerve or your choice of sweeter.
- 3 TBSP Arrowroot powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp cloves
- 1/8 c. filtered water
- 1/2 c. Walnuts-optional
- 1 c. Almond Flour
- 3 TBSP cold butter, cubed
- 1 TBSP coconut oil
- Step 1 Grease a 9×9 inch baking dish and preheat the oven to 350.
- Step 2 Dump your quart bag of frozen apples into the baking dish, or wash, core, and slice your fresh apples
- Step 3 In a small bowl mix together the swerve/sweetner, arrowroot powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and water. This will form a paste consistency. Spoon this mixture over the apples. I prefer to use all fresh spices and grate them using a zester. For the cloves I grind them using a coffee grinder.
- Step 4 In a separate mixing bowl measure out the almond flour and add the butter. Then using a pastry cutter/mixer incorporate the butter into the flour until it looks crumbly.
- Step 5 Sprinkle the almond flour and butter mixture over the apples.
- Step 6 Place in the oven on the middle rack and bake for 20 minutes-watching it carefully.
- Step 7 You can serve this with fresh whipped cream, icecream, or a drizzle of honey.